The Arkansas Challenge Scholarship has been one of the most helpful programs established in the state.
The world is gradually moving into a state where almost everything you want comes with relative ease. Buying, selling and even education are now easily accessible.
Anyway, this is only for those who consistently evolve with the latest happenings, and arm themselves with useful information in due time.
One of the primary goals of the government and some well-meaning academics is to have a world where everybody regardless of where they are from is educated at least to a level where a university degree is attainable.
Of such agitations, is the Arkansas challenge Scholarship, a US-based scholarship program targeted toward high school, college, and technical school students.
The Arkansas Scholarship Lottery as it is commonly called since its establishment has given out over 400,000 scholarships to students across 47 universities, colleges, and technical schools. Over $945 million have been expended on the cause since its inception in 2009.
As a result of the continuous operation of the Arkansas Scholarship, residents and students who stay within the region are reluctant to study elsewhere. And this has drastically led to a rapid increase in the number of people who apply for the scholarship. Thus, more people play the lottery.
As noted earlier that winning Arkansas Scholarship hinges on your ability and adeptness at gaming. Some of the games include Instant Games (Scratch-offs), Cash3, Megamillions, Lucky for life, and Cash 4.
While a player plays for the game ticket, a part of it goes into the Arkansas Scholarship board’s account and the other goes to the winners of the challenge and those who resell tickets. This has been the modus operandi of the Arkansas Scholarship Lottery since its founding.
Who can apply?
Fortunately, a lot of students of different educational levels are eligible to apply for the scholarship. This classification of students includes college students (current and old), high school graduates, and traditional students.
Application for this is done through the institution’s Department of Higher Education website.
This lottery scholarship is only for residents who are students in the United States and all its activities and processes are monitored and controlled by the Arkansas Department of Higher Education. To be qualified for Arkansas Scholarship as well, one must have lived in the city of Arkansas for at least twelve (12) months.
Benefits of the Scholarship
Winners of the Arkansas Scholarship Lottery are awarded prizes for various positions. In the first year of college, students receive $1,000 while second and third-year students receive $4,000, and students receive $5,000 for the fifth year.
However, for students whose program would last for just two years, an amount of $1,000 would be given in the first and $3,000 in the second year respectively.
Arkansas challenge scholarship requirements
Having written on the general eligibility earlier under the “Who can apply” segment, I would now explain specific eligibilities as they apply to each level.
For College Awardees:
- All students in year one are expected to pass at least 27 semester hours to be qualified for this scholarship and to ensure the scholarship continuity.
- As for second-year college students, a pass of at least 30 semester hours must be met as a criterion for the scholarship to be continued.
- Also, students who study on a part-time basis are welcome to apply for the Arkansas lottery scholarship. However, there is a reduction in premium.
- Likewise, to maintain your scholarship with Arkansas, you must, irrespective of your level, have up to a grade point average of 2.5 or its relevance.
- All students awarded Arkansas scholarships are encouraged to be present in school always. As your scholarship can be withdrawn if you are absent from school for a semester or more.
- Renewal of scholarships is done after 130 semester hours only if students uphold and comply with the terms, conditions, and stipulations of the Arkansas Scholarship board.
- Also, if as a recipient of this scholarship, your program exceeds 130 semester hours you can reach out to the scholarship board for review and continuity.
For High School Students;
- Students upon preparing to get into colleges must graduate with an ACT score of nothing less than 19, however, having a higher than that is of added advantage.
- Prospective students without ACT but other relevantly recognized certifications are also acceptable for Arkansas Scholarship.
- As for the Mathematics and Verbal reasoning section of SAT, you are required to score at least 900 points while 40 for ASSET, and 79 and 64 for ACCUPLACER and COMPASS respectively.
As regards non-traditional students, the following must be taken cognizance of.
- All non-traditional students should have an ACT score of at least 19 to be considered for the Arkansas Scholarship.
- Also, if it is high school non-traditional, students must have a minimum of 2.5 grade point average.
List of Arkansas Scholarship Lottery
Arkansas Scholarship Lottery are of different categories and they include;
- Arkansas Academic Challenge Scholarship
- Arkansas Future (ArFuture) Scholarship
- Arkansas Health Education Grant
- Arkansas Workforce Challenge
- Arkansas Concurrent Challenge, etc
Arkansas Academic Challenge Scholarship
This scholarship is strictly restricted to students who are residents of Arkansas. It is however open to all students, especially those furthering their studies to a higher level.
Other conditions include candidates not scoring less than 19 ACT scores. All students in this category must be enrolled for at least 12 hours in the first fall semester and no less than 15 in subsequent academic semesters.
This allows the scholarship board to give funds to students. For the non-traditional student, you are expected to have and maintain a grade point average of 2.5.
The reward for this category for students includes $1,000 as a freshman, $4,000 in the second year, also $4,000 and $5,000 in a junior and senior year respectively. Students admitted for two-year would be given $1,000 as a freshman and $3,000 in the second year.
Arkansas Future Grant
Next is the Arkansas future Grant. Popularly called ARFUTURE, this scholarship is one of the newly introduced ones. Its establishment is driven by the desire of the scholarship board to enhance certain students’ efficiency and effectiveness.
Moving on, this scholarship is only limited to students in departments related to Science, Engineering, Technology, and Mathematics. Collectively named STEM.
The scholarship covers students’ tuition and other associate degree programs. Interested applicants are implored to register on time as this scholarship is known to be very competitive.
This scholarship as well is open to all Arkansas high school students. Reward covers tuition and all general mandatory fees.
Arkansas Health Education Grant: This scholarship unlike the others mentioned earlier is for students to go for their professional training. It is just for those in the medical line and such fields include; optometry podiatric medicine, veterinary medicine, chiropractic medicine, dentistry, and osteopathic medicine.
Arkansas Workforce Challenge: This grant is one of the sought-after scholarships. It is fully for students in areas of information technology, healthcare, and industry. eligibility for this is the same as others.
Arkansas Concurrent Challenge: This is mainly for high school students who wish to take concurrent courses. However, students must meet the criteria for selection. The reward is $125 per course.
The Arkansas challenge scholarship is worth about $4,000 for students in 2-year schools and about $14,000 for students in 4-year schools.
No, you don’t have have to reapply for the scholarship. The Arkansas challenge scholarship is automatically renewed as far as the renewal requirements are met by the end of spring semester.
The deadline for the Arkansas challenge scholarship is June 1, 2022. The board will no longer accept applications after this period.