If you have heard about the Chevening Scholarship and now you are interested in applying for it then you are at the right place. Even if this is your first time applying for a scholarship, this guide covers everything you need to know.
While you may think that the only benefit derivable from being awarded a scholarship is being relieved of financial burden; well, it is more than that.
Students, undergraduates, and graduates alike spend a great deal of effort, time, and money on the course of getting scholarships. This is mainly because aside from getting funds to sponsor one’s studies, successful applicants become more exposed and open to the nitty-gritty of their field.
Because most scholarships are funded for scholars to study outside their indigent country of residence. Likewise, people get mixed up with experts, professionals, and different amazing minds from around the world.
And that is not to mention other valuable benefits like insurance, travel expenses, and the opportunity to attend academic seminars. To drive home our main point of discussion in this article, I will expose you to how you can successfully apply and win one of the biggest scholarships in town, the Chevening scholarship.
About Chevening Scholarship
Chevening is one of the most sought-after scholarships that every student strives hard to get. However, the processes involved are no rocket science. Hence, read through the lines carefully and thank me later.
Chevening scholarship is one of the United Kingdom’s government-funded scholarships for international students mostly those who are members of the Commonwealth, an association of former United Kingdom colonies and other countries.
This scholarship, in collaboration with Chevening’s development offices and partners, is awarded to qualified students who wish to proceed with their studies after their first degrees.
Chevening scholarship is a one-year master’s degree-funded program. Successful applicants will have the liberty to have their master’s degrees in one of the best universities in the United Kingdom.
Scholars are picked from across several various countries in the world. Regardless of their backgrounds, however, every scholar is expected to exhibit change-driven energy and enthusiasm to better the world and their respective countries when they return.
There are a lot of benefits to being a Chevening scholar. They include but are not limited to a fully-funded tuition fee, amazing networking opportunities, access to highly rated and quality education, interesting experience with mates and professionals, and the privilege to become familiarized with the United Kingdom’s rich and exotic culture.
At the termination of your scholarship, Chevening will induct you into its global alumni community that comprises over 50,000 individuals across the globe. Chevening Scholarship is not just run by the United Kingdom alone, rather it operates with involvement from partners and many developmental bodies.
Some of Chevening’s are but are not limited to the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office, FCDO, International Students’ House, and Lloyd’s Register. Among notable university partners are Bangor University, Birkbeck University, Cranfield University, Darlington Trust, and Durham University just to mention but a few.
The goal behind the establishment of the Chevening scholarship is to breed and help young, willing, and highly inspired scholars bring their goals to life. These students in turn return to their respective countries with the knowledge acquired and help profer solutions to problems associated with their field of study.
Chevening Scholarship Requirements
To be eligible for the Chevening scholarship, applicants must ensure they fulfill and meet the following recommendations and criteria.
- Applicant must be a citizen of one of Chevening’s eligible territories or countries. To know if your country belongs to this category, check Chevening’s website.
- Applicant must be willing to return and stay for a minimum of two years in his or her country of residence upon completion of his or her degree.
- Applicant must have completed his or her undergraduate degree or at his or her country of residence at the time of applying.
- Also, a minimum of the second-class upper is required to be eligible for Chevening’s scholarship. However, having above that and fulfilling other criteria will help boost one’s chances of getting through the selection process.
- Applicant must have also worked for at least two years equivalent to 2,800 hours. That is, only applicants with work experience(s) are considered for the scholarship.
- To be eligible as well, applicants must have applied to at least three universities in the United Kingdom and must have received notification of acceptance from at least one of the universities.
Having noted the criteria considered for Chevening’s eligibility, let us now take a look at a few things that can make you ineligible for the scholarship.
- One, citizens of Britain or possessors of British dual citizenship are not allowed to apply unless you are a citizen of a British Overseas Territory or hold BN(O) and are applying from Hong Kong
- Also, applicants who are refugees in non- Chevening eligible territories are not allowed to apply. However, refugees in eligible countries can apply.
- Applicants who are currently or were formerly employees of Her Majesty’s government likewise those of Chevening’s partners are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants who have previously studied in the United Kingdom with a scholarship funded by the UK government are not also allowed to apply.
- Students who have previously got their master’s degrees can also apply for a Chevening scholarship to take another master’s degree program. However, such students must state clearly the impact and effect of having another degree and to what extent it would benefit such applicant’s home country.
Benefits of being a Chevening Scholar
There are a lot of benefits according to beneficiaries of the Chevening Scholarship, little wonder a lot of people apply annually. To mention a few, some of the benefits are;
- A fully paid tuition fee. That is, successful students need not worry about tuition fees it is taken care of by Chevening.
- Scholars of Chevening scholarship are also awarded a consistent monthly stipend to take care of their expenses and other essential needs.
- Chevening also pays its beneficiaries’ travel costs to and from the United Kingdom. Therefore, travel expenses are one less thing to worry about as a Chevening scholar.
- Successful students are also awarded an arrival allowance. These help students to settle down and get necessary things upon arrival in the United Kingdom
- Scholars are also entitled to a homeward departure allowance. This allowance is given upon completion of one’s degree and when leaving for one’s country.
- The Chevening Scholarship takes care of the cost of one visa application and a travel grant to attend Chevening events in the United Kingdom.
How to apply for Chevening Scholarship 2022
Interested Applicants who meet the above criteria and are willing to proceed with their academic adventure at one of the UK’s best universities, should read the following essential guidelines to have a hitch-free application.
- Firstly, an application would be submitted online through Chevening’s website. At this stage, you would create a profile and an account would be open afterward.
- You must remember your username, password, and other important details used during required because it would be required for subsequent uses.
- Ensure you submit complete error-free and accurate required documents like the university’s transcript and academic record during the registration process.
- Also, all uploaded documents should be less than 5MB in size whether it is in JPG, PNG, or PDF formats. And try to conclude all registration before the stated deadline.
- You should also make sure that all answers supplied to questions asked during the application process are composed of at least 100 words count and not more than 500 words.
- All changes made should be saved during registration because each session closes after 60 minutes and autosave is not available.
- Ensure you review all answers provided before you finally submit and ascertain that previous changes made have been effected.
Upon successful application, you will wait for at least 8 months before the process for scholars commences.
Helpful Tips for Prospective Applicants
Due to the number of people who show interest in the Chevening scholarship yearly, I must discuss some of the necessary details you need to have prior, during, and after application.
This would include some errors made by previous applicants and how to avert the same thing. This session must be taken seriously because once marked as ineligible, one cannot proceed with the application process. The errors include:
Before the screening stage, applicants must have confirmed that all answers asked are correctly answered. The presence of any erroneous detail will lead to automatic disqualification.
While filling out the application forms, applicants must as well fill in accurate answers asked at this stage. Sections, where errors are often made are the areas of personal details and work experience.
For the personal details, ensure that the information supplied can be verified, and note, that those who have dual British citizenship can not apply. Also, for the work experience, you must ensure you meet up with the required number of weeks expected to have worked before application.
Likewise, on the choice of universities, applicants who fill in the same course in different universities won’t be considered. Therefore, all applicants should pick three different universities and different courses.
As earlier noted that answers to questions should be at least 100 words and not more than 500. Most applicants do not follow this and they end up being ineligible.
Applicants should also avoid plagiarism as most people are disqualified on the ground of falsifying documents. This also applies to answers given as well. Hence, applicants are encouraged to steer clear of plagiarism.