In 2002, the Virginia Tobacco Region Revitalization Commission founded the Virginia tobacco scholarship. Since its inception, this program has helped hundreds of students get their bachelor’s degrees.
Although this program has evolved into a loan repayment/talent attraction grant program, it’s still helpful to students in 2022.
In this article, we are going to explain all you need to know about the Virginia tobacco scholarship requirements, the application process, and how to get it in 2022. Stay with me as we embark on a short journey.
Requirements for the Tobacco Scholarship
- You must be a legal resident of the US and must have resided in the Southwest or Southern region for at least a year.
- You must have a good academic standing.
- Previous winners of the scholarship can reapply
- You must be currently enrolled at an accredited institution in a bachelor’s program for at least 6 months (in-state or out-of-state).
- An official transcript with your GPA (on a 4.0 scale) is required.
- Priority is given to descendants of tobacco quota holders/growers from 1998 to 2004
- 2-year programs at a 4-year university or college are acceptable if not offered by the Virginia community college that serves the applicant
- You are expected to maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0
- High school students are not eligible for this scholarship
- A completed 2022-2023 FAFSA form is required
Worth of the Virginia Tobacco scholarship
For every semester hour, you are going to receive $90 ($100 for those who transferred 60 credits from a community college) or $60 per quarter hour if the institution operates on a quarter-hour basis.
1 degree will be fully funded by the Tobacco Region Revitalization Commission and the scholarship award is limited to 2 semesters per academic year unless funds remain for summer.
Once you are done with your bachelor’s degree, you can apply for a $1000 work incentive for every semester scholarship received. The incentive will be paid annually to the scholarship recipients.
Apart from all these, you can also get 1-year full-time employment to work in the Tobacco Region while receiving $2000 per month.
- League Of Legends Scholarship 2022 Application
- Scholarships For Students Who Have Lost A Parent
- Louise Mckinney Scholarship 2022 Application
- Mike Rowe Scholarship 2022 Application Portal
- Scholarships For People With ADHD
How to apply for the Virginia Tobacco Scholarship
So how do you apply for the 2022 tobacco scholarship? Follow the steps below;
- Go through the requirements listed above to confirm that you are eligible for this scholarship
- Access the application page using the link below
- Fill the form with the required information and submit
- Submit your official transcript and other required documents (do this only after submitting your online application)
- Eligible applicants will be notified by the Tobacco Commission via email.
Why your scholarship application was rejected
Here are some pretty good reasons why your application was denied or rejected;
- Your GPA is less than what is required.
- You plan on attending a community college.
- Your application is incomplete or you didn’t submit the required documents.
- You reside in Lynchburg city.
- Your degree has already been funded.
- You are going for a graduate degree.
- You are a non-degree-seeking applicant.
The surprising thing about the tobacco scholarship is that previous recipients can reapply and they are even given more preference than new applicants during the selection process, which is rare.
Anyways, share this post with your friends and those who you think may need it.