Being one of the best public research universities in the US, the University of Maryland has a below-average acceptance rate.
It may interest you to know that Sergey Brin, the co-founder of Google, is a notable alumnus of the University of Maryland.
The University of Maryland has an acceptance rate of 36%. You’re more likely to be admitted if you have a high GPA and ACT/SAT scores.
Continue reading to learn more about the University’s admission process and requirements.
University of Maryland acceptance rate for all students
The University of Maryland acceptance rate for the class of 2026 is projected to be 36.8%. This implies that out of the 55,000 applications received, more than 20,000 applicants will be offered admission.
When compared to UMD’s admission stats for the previous year, the number of applications increased by 9.1% while the admit rate dropped. For the class of 2025, 50,000 applications were received, 20,250 applicants were offered admission and only about 4,600 students enrolled.
University of Maryland’s early action acceptance rate is 59.3% while its regular decision acceptance rate is about 3%. This goes to show that they get most of their students from the early action program.
Although UMD has not publicly released any data on the admit rates for international students, there are various requirements for foreign students seeking admission to the university.
One of them is that international applicants must submit their English proficiency test scores which can be any of TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores.
University of Maryland, Baltimore county acceptance rate
UMBC has a higher acceptance rate when compared to UMD, its admit-rate is currently pegged at 69.5%. This means that out of every 100 applicants, 69 are offered a chance to study at the institution.
To get into the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, you need to be competitive with a minimum GPA of 3.9, SAT score of 1316, or ACT score of 28.
Being one of the best colleges for veterans in the United States, UMBC is quite selective when it comes to admissions. They evaluate your GPA, achievements, curriculum strength, essay, and class rank.
What GPA do you need to get into the University of Maryland?
You need a weighted GPA of 4.32 to get into the University of Maryland. Admitted students have mostly As and BS, so that’s what you should aim for.
Different majors or schools have their requirements including GPA requirements. For example, the Robert H. Smith School of Business is highly competitive and requires a minimum GPA of 3.80.
Those who want to major in one of the LEP programs would need a minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale to stay competitive.
Although SAT and ACT scores are currently optional, you need a minimum SAT score of 1380 and a minimum ACT score of 31 to gain admission into UMD. Shortly, I will reveal other things you need to know about UMD’s admission requirements.
Is it hard to get into the University of Maryland?
Yes, getting into the University of Maryland is hard just like any other average public institution in the US. The truth is that acceptance or enrollment rates do not reveal much about how tough UMD admission is.
Maryland residents have a better chance of getting into UMD than out-of-state students. Your major is not considered for admission, so don’t think of gaming the system by changing majors once in.
About 75% of admitted students are legal residents of Maryland while the remaining 25% consist of non-Maryland residents (out-of-state and international students). Students from Maryland public schools are given special consideration.
Some schools are also more selective than others, the Clark school of engineering is a good example. Direct admission into LEP majors like CS, business, and engineering is hard and almost impossible.
The admission committee at the University of Maryland employs a holistic review to determine the best applicants for admission. Some of the requirements include:
Transfer students must have completed a minimum of 12 semester hours at an accredited college. They don’t need AP and IB credits.
2 recommendation letters are also required, 1 from your school counselor and the other from a teacher. Applicants can submit no more than 3 recommendations.
Taking several honors and/or Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate courses and performing well in them helps.
Unfortunately, UMD had some weird admission criteria I would not like to talk about in this article. Imagine being judged because of where you come from.
Studying at the University of Maryland is expensive even though they have different financial aid programs for students with financial needs. If you made the mistake of not applying via early action, I hope you have a backup plan if you are rejected.
This article explained everything you need to know about the University of Maryland acceptance rate and its requirements for admission. Kindly consider sharing this post with your friends.