Ever wondered what the easiest vet schools to get into are? You are not alone.
Remember that time when you were a kid and everyone in the class wanted to become a doctor in the future? Not all of them end up treating humans.
As funny as it sounds, being a veterinarian is great with its perks. Not only are you getting an above-average salary, but you also get to do what you love. Now the only thing standing in most people’s way to becoming a veterinarian is getting into a vet school.
Most vet schools set their limits so high that it becomes a matter of the survival of the fittest. Only those with the best GPAs, scores, and qualifications are admitted.
What are the easiest vet schools to get into?
This article will list some of the easiest veterinary schools to get into and their admission requirements for 2024.
1. Western University of Health Sciences
Western University is one of the vet schools in the United States where you can get accepted with even a low GPA in 2023. It is an accredited university with many partnerships, opportunities, and resources.
Requirements for Admission
- You must be a US citizen or reside in the US; proof of your residency may be required.
- TOEFL exam is required if English is not your primary language and you are not a US citizen. The minimum TOEFL score requirements are:
- 79 internet-based.
- 213 computer-based.
- 530 paper-based.
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a BS or BA may strengthen your application.
- 3 letters of recommendation are required.
- You must have completed 500 hours of hands-on animal-related experience.
2. Texas A&M University
Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences is another vet school you should consider. Getting into vet school there might sound tough, but it’s easy if you play your cards right.
If you qualify for admission, you will be interviewed and reviewed before you can call yourself a student of TAMU.
- A minimum GPA of 2.90 overall and 3.10 for the last 45 semester hours are required.
- 100 hours of veterinary experience is required.
- You must have studied in an accredited US college or university.
- You must have completed the prerequisites.
3. Tuskegee University
The Tuskegee University College of Veterinary Medicine (TUCVM) is the only veterinary medical professional program on a historically black college or university (HBCU) campus in the US.
The TUCVM has educated more than 70% of the nation’s African-American veterinarians and is known as the most diverse of all schools/colleges of veterinary medicine in the United States.
- You must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- You are expected to have taken the GRE within 3 years of application.
- Applicants must submit all the application materials to the Office of Veterinary Admissions before the specified deadline.
- Applicants must complete 200 clinical contact hours with a licensed veterinarian.
- You must have completed the prerequisites mentioned above.
- Preference is given to candidates from academic programs/institutions with articulation agreements with TUCVM, Alabama, and the cooperating states under the Southern Regional Plan. It states/territories with contractual agreements for veterinary medical training at Tuskegee University.
- Easiest physical therapy schools
- Occupational therapy schools with low GPA requirements
- Jesuit Medical Schools review
- Loudoun Country Day School Tuition Fees
4. Oklahoma State University
You can also study veterinary medicine at OSU (Oklahoma State University). Their College of Veterinary Medicine is one the best and easiest veterinary schools in the United States when writing this article.
Got what it takes to study there? Find out below;
- You must be within two semesters of completing the pre-vet course requirements and have a minimum GPA of 2.80 in the required courses.
- GRE is required, and the test results must be submitted to the university before the specified deadline. The tests must be taken within four years before application.
- CASPer test is also required. The university does not need a snapshot.
- All transcripts must be submitted before September 15.
5. Oregon State University
Another vet school you might consider is the Carlson College of Veterinary Medicine at Oregon State University. Founded in 1975, the college had its first graduating class in 1983 and has helped many students fulfill their dreams of becoming veterinarians.
The school has a veterinary teaching hospital and a diagnostic lab & is known for providing research lab experiences for students.
- Any grade below C- in a prerequisite course will not be accepted for admission.
- Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exam credits for lower-division prerequisite courses are accepted.
- All academic transcripts must be submitted to Oregon State University CCVM before the closing date.
- 3 letters of recommendation are required, with one letter from a DVM.
- A minimum GPA is not required for admission.
6. UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine
UC Davis, School of Veterinary Medicine, is here to kickstart your journey to becoming a veterinarian. They don’t have many requirements, making it one of the easiest veterinary colleges to enter in the United States.
For more information, check out their website at ucdavis.edu
- A minimum GPA of 2.50 on a 4.0 scale is required.
- 180 hours of veterinary experience is also needed.
- You are expected to submit three letters of recommendation, with at least one from a veterinarian.
- You must have completed all the prerequisite courses with a minimum grade of C.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in the region.
- You are expected to take the GRE before the deadline.
- Non-native English-speaking applicants must take the TOEFL test and score at least 105.
- All transcripts must be evaluated and submitted to the VMCAS before September 15 (For international students).
7. University of Illinois
The University of Illinois vet school’s primary aim is to educate the next generations of veterinarians. They are one of the best research institutions in the world, with a full-service teaching vet hospital, a diagnostic laboratory, and research centers (located in Chicago).
Interested in a career in veterinary medicine at Illinois University? Let’s see if you are eligible…
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 on a 4.0 scale is needed.
- No specific undergraduate major is required.
- You must have a minimum C- grade in all the required courses.
- AP credit should be on your college transcript
- All prerequisites must be graded and completed.
8. UGA College of Veterinary Medicine
The University of Georgia, College of Veterinary Medicine, welcomes people from different backgrounds, points of view, and hometowns to help shape the future of animal health.
Want to join the UGA Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program? Check out their requirements below.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required.
- GRE scores must be submitted to the UGA College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Veterinary technician courses are not accepted.
- AP credits must appear on your college transcripts and be the same as the appropriate college-level coursework.
- 3 letters of recommendation are required, with at least one from a veterinarian you have worked for.
- 250 hours of veterinary experience is required.
- All transcripts must be submitted to the Veterinary Medical College Application Service.
Let’s look at various vet schools with the easiest admission requirements across the UK, Australia, and Canada.
Easiest Veterinary Colleges in the United Kingdom
- The University of Glasglow.
- The University of Surrey.
- The University of Liverpool.
- The University of Nottingham.
- Harper and Keele Veterinary School.
Easiest Canadian Vet Schools to get into
- The University of Guelph.
- University of Prince Edward Island.
- The University of Calgary, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
- Universite de Montreal.
- The University of Saskatchewan.
Easiest Vet Colleges to get into in Australia
- The University of Queensland, school of veterinary science.
- The University of Adelaide, School of Animal and Veterinary Science.
- The University of Sydney, Faculty of Veterinary Science.
- The University of Melbourne, Faculty of Veterinary Science.
- James Cook University.
- Charles Sturt University.
- Murdoch University.
I hope this article has helped you know the easiest vet schools to enter and their admission requirements. If you have questions about these institutions, visit the schools’ websites or use the comment section below.
Sam is a brilliant young Nigerian biochemistry student and an aspiring entrepreneur. Despite facing many challenges, he has never lost his passion for learning and drive to make a difference in the world. Read more about him here.