Can you get financial support for being a war orphan or a child of an Ohio war veteran? Have you heard about the Ohio war orphans scholarship?
This article will explain everything you need to know about the Ohio scholarship program for war orphans for 2023, the eligibility requirements, the closing date, and the application process.
I can feel how anxious you are to apply for this scholarship. This scholarship is only for undergraduate study and Ohio war orphans. If you don’t meet the requirements, there are hundreds of other scholarships for war orphans.
Let’s get right into it.
What is the Ohio War Orphans Scholarship?
The Ohio war scholarship is a program established to support children of deceased or severely disabled Ohio veterans who served in the armed forces during the war.
The Ohio Department of Higher Education created this program to encourage and offer assistance to eligible Ohio war orphans. This state grant has been helping lives ever since it came into existence.
Every year, many students apply, and those eligible are awarded the scholarship for their undergraduate education in Ohio. The scholarship application for the 2022-2023 academic session has closed. Why not take your chance and apply for the 2023-2024 session?
|Deadline:||May 15, 2023|
|Duration Of Scholarship:||5 years|
|No. Of Scholarships Available:||Will be determined by the board|
Ohio War Orphans Scholarship Requirements 2023
Who is eligible to apply for the Ohio war orphan scholarship program in 2023? Find out below;
- You must be at least 16 years old and not older than 24 years at the time of application.
- You must be in financial need as determined by the board.
- You must be an Ohio resident enrolled for full-time undergraduate study and pursuing an associate or bachelor’s degree at an eligible Ohio college or university.
- You are expected to have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or more, which you must maintain.
- At the time of application, if a child of a veteran who entered the armed services: (a) As a legal resident of Ohio, has resided in the state for the last preceding year; (b) Not as a legal resident of Ohio, have resided in the state for the year preceding the year in which application for the scholarship is made and any other four of the last ten years;
- Eligible institutions are Ohio state-assisted colleges and universities, Ohio private non-profit institutions which have received a certificate of authorization from the Chancellor under Chapter 1713 of the Ohio Revised Code, and Ohio proprietary institutions which have received a certificate of registration from the State Board of Career Colleges and Schools.
- Students who attend an institution with a registration certificate must be enrolled in an associate or bachelor’s degree program authorized under Section 3332.05 of the Ohio Revised Code.
- The “veteran” parent, as described under DEFINITIONS, must be deceased or disabled when the application is made or considered MIA or POW. Suppose the “veteran” parent served only in the Ohio National Guard or organized reserves. In that case, the “veteran” parent must have been killed or permanently disabled while at a scheduled training assembly, a field training period of any duration or length, or active duty for training pursuit to bona fide orders issued by a competent authority.
- The “veteran” parent must have entered the United States armed services as a resident of Ohio. Refer to Section 2 under Applicant Requirements for exceptions to this provision.
- If disabled but not as a member of the Ohio National Guard or organized reserves, the “veteran” parent must have a sixty percent or more significant service-connected disability or must be receiving Veteran’s Administration benefits for permanent and total non-service-connected disability as determined by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Scholarships for students with blue eyes
- FIFA research scholarship program 2023
- Amazon student scholarship 2023
- Scholarships for people with red hair
- Chevron scholarship program application
- Scholarships For Grandchildren Of Korean War Veterans
How To Apply For The Ohio War Orphans Scholarship
Did you meet the requirements listed above? If you are eligible, follow the steps below to apply for the Ohio war orphans scholarship.
- Go to the official scholarship page.
- Download the application form and the student acknowledgment form.
- The application forms can also be obtained from the Ohio Department of Higher Education, State Grants and Scholarships Department, high school guidance offices, veterans service offices, and college Financial Aid Offices.
- The application is divided into two parts, one is to be filled out by you & the other part is to be filled out by your parent or guardian.
- Fill out the application form and ensure the information is accurate and complete.
- You & your guardian or parent must sign the application.
- You are expected to submit four forms for the application: A COMPLETED application, VA Award Letter, DD214, and Student Acknowledgement Statement.
- The Veteran Award Letter must indicate an Overall Combined Rating or Service Connection of 60% or more. The entire packet of each disability rating is unnecessary; only the overall service connection percentage is needed.
- The DD214’s service dates must coincide with the dates listed in ORC 5910, which are also listed on the back of the application under definitions, section 2. Service time from 05/06/1975 to 08/01/1990 does not qualify unless you have received the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.
- Residency Section must be completed in its entirety. If a veteran’s DD214 shows a place of entry and home record “outside” of the state of Ohio, the student will need FIVE years of Ohio residency. The five years is a total of one year before completion of the application and four out of any 10 years in the state of Ohio. Therefore, a minimum of five years.
- Apply by sending it by mail or fax, don’t email the application due to sensitive information. The mailing address and fax number are located in the top right-hand corner of the application.
- Your application won’t be considered if you are not eligible for the Ohio war orphans scholarship.
- Applicants are advised to check their application status via email 1-2 weeks after they apply for the scholarship.
How Can The Benefits Be Used?
It can only be used for tuition fees and general fees. You will pay any other miscellaneous fees like accommodation or feeding.
I think the scholarship board is trying its best, and the value is even good for most students since schools in Ohio are not expensive. If you are an Ohio war orphan, you must hop on this opportunity before it closes. I wish you good luck!
Share this article with your friends, and don’t forget to subscribe for more scholarship updates.
Sam is a brilliant young Nigerian biochemistry student and an aspiring entrepreneur. Despite facing many challenges, he has never lost his passion for learning and drive to make a difference in the world. Read more about him here.